Having practiced employee benefits law exclusively since 1979, Ken is among the most knowledgeable and experienced employee benefits attorneys in the U.S. His deep experience covers every aspect of employee benefits law. At the firm, he specializes in:
- Qualified retirement plans (401(k), other defined contribution, defined benefit, cash balance and conversions of traditional defined benefit plans to cash balance plans).
- Tax-sheltered annuities (403(b)).
- Equity and executive compensation (non-qualified deferred compensation, 457(b), 457(f) plans, 409A compliance, phantom stock, and other long-term incentives).
- Employee welfare benefits (health care reform, group health plans, COBRA, HRAs, cafeteria plans and VEBAs).
- Public agency plans.
- Church plans.
- Controlled group, common control, affiliated service group and leased employee analyses.
Ken is a widely recognized leader in employee benefits law, and has served as an adjunct professor for the McGeorge School of Law's Master of Laws in Taxation program and at Golden Gate University's Graduate School of Taxation. He was also the chairman of the State Bar's Taxation Section's Employee Benefits Committee.
Ken's passion for employee benefits law led him to co-found the Sacramento Chapter of the Western Pension & Benefits Council (past president). He co-authored "The Business Owner's Retirement Plan Survival Guide," and is recognized as a fellow of The American College of Employee Benefits Counsel (ACEBC), which recognizes significant contributions to the advancement of the employee benefits field. Additionally, Ken is routinely selected by his peers for inclusion in the registry "The Best Lawyers in America" and "Super Lawyers."
Ken earned his LL.M. (Master of Laws) in taxation from Golden Gate University School of Law (graduated first in his class), his J.D. from the University of California Hastings College of the Law and his B.S. from the University of Kansas. He is admitted to practice in California.
"Ken Ruthenberg hit the ground running in our first conversation."
– Corinna Adams, Director of Benefits, Reiter Affiliated Companies