Our Exclusive Focus Delivers Incredible Results
Employee benefits law is all we've done since we carved this niche in 1989. With us, you get a deep and diverse team of experts working tirelessly to make your life easier and improve your outcomes in every aspect of employee benefits.
Our clients know we listen, probe and understand their challenges and objectives. They count on us to deliver clever solutions that become part of their enterprise's overall success.
Don't mistake us as a small firm. Between the seven attorneys and three benefits consultants at Chang, Ruthenberg & Long, we have more than 200 years of focused, relevant experience in three offices in California's major markets. We stack up nicely with the employee benefits departments of most of California's law firms – large or small.
After nearly 30 years, there is very little in this practice area that hasn't crossed our desks.
Employers, their trusted advisors and plan fiduciaries look to us for guidance concerning:
- Tax favored retirement plans: ESOPs, defined benefit plans, cash balance plans, 415(m) excess benefit arrangements, defined contribution plans, 401(k) plans, 403(b) plans, IRAs and 414(h) pickup arrangements, including compliance and correction.
- Nonqualified deferred compensation plans: top hat plans, 457 plans, 3(36) excess benefit plans and phantom stock plans, including 409A compliance and correction.
- Other equity and executive compensation plans: long-term incentive plans, SERPs, SARs and restricted stock plans.
- Health and welfare plans: ACA compliance, COBRA, MERPs, HRAs, cafeteria plans, retiree health plans, 401(h) accounts, dependent care assistance programs and VEBAs.
- Other employee benefit issues: benefits in mergers and acquisitions, PTO cash-out programs and the benefits aspects of collective bargaining agreements.
We serve a wide range of clients, including:
- Corporations of all sizes.
- Professional practices.
- Governmental agencies.
- Religious institutions.