Kevin has helped guide hundreds of ESOPs and ESOP companies to success since 1988. He has represented both publicly traded corporations and privately held companies, ranging from professional firms and banks to manufacturers and retailers. Kevin helps clients and their companies achieve goals with their benefit plans and ESOP-based corporate ownership succession in a tax-advantaged manner while incentivizing their employees to greater productivity.
Kevin has deep experience with all facets of ESOP company benefits, including:
- Corporate succession planning.
- ESOP plan design.
- Sustainability planning for mature ESOPs.
- Fiduciary representation and Department of Labor/IRS audit defense.
- Management incentive planning, such as nonqualified and equity deferred compensation.
- Corporate governance.
- Leveraged buyout transactions.
- Sales, mergers, and acquisitions of ESOP companies.
- Terminations and wind downs of existing ESOPs.
- Legal issues involved in plan administration.
Kevin is one of only 350 taxation law specialists certified by the California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization. He is a member of and a frequent contributing speaker and author in the area of ESOPs for the National Center for Employee Ownership (NCEO) and The ESOP Association. He authored the accreditation course materials on ESOPs for the American Society of Pension Professionals and Actuaries (ASPPA) and teaches coursework on ESOPs for the California CPA (CalCPA) Educational Foundation.
Kevin earned the AV Preeminent rating from Martindale Hubbell. He is a fellow of the American Bar Association's American College of Employee Benefits Counsel, which recognizes significant contributions to the advancement of the employee benefits field. Kevin was selected by his peers for inclusion in the registry of "The Best Lawyers in America" and "Super Lawyers." He began his tax career as an attorney in the tax division of Arthur Andersen & Co.
Kevin earned his J.D. from the University of San Francisco School of Law, and two B.A. degrees from the University of California at Santa Barbara.
"Kevin Long is a valuable advisor. He can speak intelligently and accurately to pretty much any situation."
– Guy Cook, Chief Operations Officer, SuiteAmerica