Functions/Responsibilities Of The Chairman Of The Board
From "An Introduction To Corporate Governance For Private ESOP Companies," (link, right).
The Chairman Of The Board:
- Is a member of, and serves as the chief executive of, the board of directors.
- Provide leadership to the board of directors, which sets policy and to whom the President/CEO is accountable.
- Chair meetings of the board after developing the agenda with the President/CEO.
- Encourage board's role in strategic planning.
- Appoint the chairpersons of committees, in consultation with other board members.
- Serve ex officio (as a result of his position, but often without a vote) as a member of committees and attends their meetings when invited.
- Discuss issues confronting the organization with the President/CEO.
- Help guide and mediate board actions with respect to organizational priorities and governance concerns.
- Review with the CEO any issues of concern to the board.
- Monitor financial planning and financial reports.
- Formally evaluate the performance of the President/CEO and informally evaluate the effectiveness of the board members.
- Evaluate annually the performance of the organization in achieving its mission.
- Perform other responsibilities assigned by the board.
COPYRIGHT © 2008 - CHANG, RUTHENBERG & LONG PC